Friday 19 March 2010

We're in Business


So last week I bit the bullet and set up an Etsy shop and linked it to my website. I have been very keenly watching the traffic on my site and have been very excited as I’ve reached lots of mini milestones with visitors and questions and really little things like that (I kind of make the milestones up as I go along therefore I am never disappointed). But today I have hit the first biggest milestone that I actually had set without just “happening” upon it...... I have had my first sale of my beadies!!!!!!!

Yey!!!!

How excited am I? That’ll be VERY! Oh wow - people actually want to buy my beads and stuff that I make. What a buzz and a headrush! Can you tell that I’m excited? I want to run around and scream at the top of my voice that I am successful [sic]!

So the hard work and the prattling around trying to get my sites up and running has paid off. It is surprisingly time consuming setting up each item for sale - taking the photos, tweaking the pics so that they are straight and in focus etc, and the writing up and making sure the details are correct. It is like ebay but perhaps with more pride because I’m not selling stuff I don’t need/want anymore; rather I’m selling lots of things that I would love to keep (magpie syndrome) but know I must try and “dispose” of them in the prettiest way possible.

It took a lot of courage to start selling my beads and jewellery. I had a lot of worries and self doubt especially if I sell something that the buyer isn’t satisfied with. To that end I have almost put disclaimers on my beads (but not quite) but then I have realised that the people who are buying my beads are likely to be people who make their own jewellery and are buying handmade beads exactly because they don’t want the precision machine made chinese beads that flood the general market. I am going to have to keep reminding myself of this and have faith in my creative abilities. So to all you newbies who are wavering on the edge of to sell or not to sell..... just do it. You’ll be pleasantly surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment