Friday 26 February 2010

I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles


Oh Wow!

I made these little beauties today. It is the first time for incorporating metal into my beads and for this I used brass mesh (60 count). When the brass gets hot it releases a gas (from the zinc content of the brass) and these bubbles can be caught in the covering layer of glass. If they break the surface of the outer glass then they burst and the glass goes scummy and pitted and scorched. I addition the highly toxic fumes escape and these can actually kill you!

But don’t they look fab? There are plenty ways of creating bubbles in your glass beads and I am going to try the baking soda technique next time. I have also seen people put brass wire into their beads which looks nice when its not superheated - but if it were to be superheated then you might get a very fine string of bubbles.... or one large blobby bubble. Might be worth a try!

You can get mesh in varying different sizes and the bigger the mesh the bigger and more spaced-out the bubbles. These beads had relatively tight knit mesh and thus the bubbles are tiny and compact. You can also use copper mesh to give a good effect but it doesn’t produce bubbles but you can get glass to bulge through the holes, as they use in chaos beads.

No comments:

Post a Comment